What’s the difference between an NOA, T4 and T1 General?

If you’re having trouble collecting the documents for your mortgage application, you’re not alone! It can be difficult to keep track of document names and where you can go to find each one, especially if you’re a first-time homebuyer who has never had to access them before. This week, we wanted to help clarify the difference between three of the most commonly confused documents throughout the mortgage process.

More of a visual person? See below the following chart for a sample of what each document should look like. Need more help finding these documents? Fill out our contact form and a member of our team will reach out to assist you.

  What is it? Where can I find it?
Notice of Assessment (NOA) A Notice of Assessment is completed by the Canada Revenue Agency after you file your taxes. Your NOA will show you the date your return was assessed and whether you have a refund, amount owing, or a zero balance.

If there are any changes to your tax return after it was already submitted, they will also issue a Notice of Reassessment.
The assessment will be mailed to you by the Canada Revenue Agency after they have assessed your tax return.

You can also login to ‘My Account’ through the Canada Revenue Agency website to access an online copy. Your NOA can be found under the “tax returns” tab.
T1 General A T1 General is your tax return. It is generally at least 4 pages long and you must ensure you submit all pages to your Broker when it is requested. The person who submits your tax return should provide you with a copy of your T1 General as soon as your return is complete. If you file your own taxes through software such as TurboTax or UFile, you can find your T1 General there.

If you are having trouble finding your return, you’ll need to contact the agency or individual who completed your return to request a copy.
T4 A summary of your employment earnings and deductions for each year.

Your employer is responsible for providing a copy of this slip to you and ensuring it gets sent to Canada Revenue Agency each year.
Your employer should provide you with a copy by the end of February each year.

You can also login to ‘My Account’ through the Canada Revenue Agency website. Your T4 can be found under “tax information slips.”

Notice of Assessment (NOA)

T1 General




Still have questions? Fill out our contact form and a member of our team will reach out to help you.





Recent Posts